A 19 year old Tennessee woman was arrested for allowing her dog to die in extreme heat in her car. Ali M. Miller was arrested after an animal control officer witnessed the dog abandoned in the hot car days ago. Miller was charged with the offense of “Animal Cruelty – Aggravated E Felony.”
According to the arrest warrant, Animal Control Officer Bryan Philip Peterson “personally witnessed a dog abandoned in the suspect’s vehicle. Fire Department as well as Animal Control observed the dog overheating and broke the window in an attempt to save the animal.” The report added that members of the fire department attempted to save the dog, but the dog died a short time later. “The car was turned off, locked, and windows were up. The suspect was present when fire and animal control were on the scene and stated that it was her dog and vehicle.”
Miller’s bond was set at $5,000 but was later freed on a pre-trial release. She is scheduled to appear in court on the morning of July 7.
PETA offers three summertime tips for pet owners: Never leave an animal inside a hot vehicle, keep animals indoors, and avoid hot pavement.
As we know is the case with humans, temperatures can quickly soar in parked cars, and a dog trapped inside can die from heatstroke within minutes—even if the car is in the shade with the windows slightly open, which has little to no effect on lowering the temperature inside the car. As with children, pets should never be left unattended in vehicles.
Unlike humans, dogs can sweat only through their footpads and cool themselves by panting, so even brief sun exposure can have life-threatening consequences. Anyone who sees animals in distress and is unable to help should note their locations and alert authorities immediately.
Automobiles can become deadly ovens in the summer. When the outside temperature is only 70, the temperature inside a vehicle can climb to 113 degrees in an hour. On a 95 degree day, temperatures inside a vehicle can warm to 138 degrees in an hour.
Being outside of cars can also be hazardous to pets when temperatures soar. When outdoor temperatures reach the 80s, asphalt temperatures can climb to 140 degrees, causing pain, burns, and permanent damage to dogs’ paws after just a few minutes of contact. Especially on warm summer days, dogs should be walked on grass whenever possible. PETA warns that people should never run with dogs in hot weather: “they’ll collapse before giving up, at which point, it may be too late to save them.”